The big 2-5. Everyone asks “do you feel older” on your birthday and usually my answer is no. But this year, turning 25 seems like a big milestone. In some ways I feel like I am so young and in others I feel like I am so old.
I have accomplished some pretty awesome things in my life and I have experienced happiness, love, sadness, anxiety, hope, disappointment, fulfillment, success, failure, anger, adrenaline, pride, I mean the list goes on. I have lived a blessed life so far and I am excited to be entering my 25th year!
Today, I thought I would share 25 things I have learned in my 25 years of life. No, they aren’t very philosophical – but they’re me!
- Figure out what your passion is and do it. Don’t waste life being miserable at a job you don’t love.
- Don’t skip class. It’s one of the first responsibilities you have after leaving for college and it will pay off.
- There is no shame in your mom being your best friend. The best friendship you’ll ever experience.
- The whole cliche “you’ll look back and miss those days” thing that everyone says, is true. So soak in the present moment and cherish your memories.
- There is nothing better than being in your swim suit, riding on the boat across the lake, singing out loud with your family.
- Don’t sacrifice who you are as a person to fit in with others.
- Find the guy who makes you feel good about yourself, who respects you and fits in with your family and who you without a doubt can trust and then marry him!
- Living with the ideal of “community over competition” will not only lead to many amazing connections but will fulfill your heart.
- Learn to say no, but don’t be afraid to say yes.
- Rollercoasters are awesome, plain and simple.
- If you don’t live close to your family, make your best effort to visit often.
- You and your spouse should have your own hobbies or friends, etc. A healthy relationship means you can have your own things and your together things!
- Need advice or have a question? Call your dad.
- If you are uncomfortable in a situation, get out of it.
- Do your research before making major decisions.
- It’s okay to go to the movies by yourself. Nothing more relaxing than sitting alone in a theater and watching a chick flick.
- Good and genuine friendships are good for the soul. Find people who support you, love you for who you are and can give you honest and reliable advice.
- Heartbreak can suck, but you’ll get over it. There is definitely a better future ahead.
- Time management is an important skill that requires training. Make time to learn to make time (;
- Owning a dog is a lot harder than you think.
- Have venting buddies. It will always be better to have people you can talk out your frustrations with. Don’t keep things bottled up.
- Always keep learning. Every day!
- Push yourself outside of your comfort zone and try new things.
- Pick a random fact about yourself to always have memorized. The amount of times you’ll be asked to introduce yourself and say a random fact about yourself is a lot more than you’d think. & I still can never think of one.
- Love yourself hard. Love your people hard. Love God hard. Love life hard.
My life has been a blessing so far. I have wonderful people in my life and have had some amazing opportunities. I am so excited to see what the next year has in store!
For fun, here are a few pictures of me from a few birthdays in the past!